A Sea to Love,
a Hinterland to Savor

italianoenglish

castello

CASTLE



The Castle of Melissa is the symbol of the historical and archaeological culture of the presence of the Aragonese and of the feudal tradition of the Borgo. Only parts of the internal structures and of the walls, which reached as far as the town, are visible today.

The castle was built in the Middle Ages and the towers are still visible. Its strategic importance, which was decisive at the time of its construction in order to face the possible raids from the sea, still makes it one of the most important fortifications in the province of Crotone. Particularly in the 15th century, it served to stave off the continued attempted raids by the Turks. After being a royal garrison for a long time, it became the property of the Campitelli family until 1668, when it passed into the hands of the Pignatelli family.

Address: Porta di Gardu, 88814 – Melissa (KR)



GALLERY



castello di melissa
panorama vista castello
resti del castello
vista del castello



MAP






RELATIVE MONUMENT




Melissa


Wine Museum "PALAZZO FERRARO"




Torre melissa


CHURCH OF SAINT MARY OF MOUNT CARMEL




Torre melissa


ARAGONESE TOWER











w3c logo html5